Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I have nothing, and I have everything.

There's something very sobering about realizing there is nothing in your bank account anymore.
It reminds me of my dependence on God for the sustenance of the day.
And it reminds me that I am called to complete dependence on the Lord- of finance, of breath, of basic needs, and of appointments.

Something Eric said in passing this past weekend in Ohio has really stuck with me. He said, "Ad-lib and free worship are born out of a heart that knows God's word." Its true- you can only go so long on creativity and a love for music alone. Unless there is a love for Jesus, a love for his words, and his thoughts and his heart, you will be like a well dried up, longing to be filled with living waters.

I don't read a whole lot of scripture. In fact, more often than not I force myself to read it. For a couple years now I have been praying, asking God to give me a love for it, and honestly- this past weekend was one of the first times I believe I actually loved what I was reading. I felt like there was vitality being downloaded to my soul as I read through the verses and pages. And for possibly the first time ever, I ended my time reading wanting to go deeper- not wanting to put it down.

Brother Yun memorized 55 chapters of the bible while he was in prison, from Hebrews to Revelation. That's ridiculous. He said he didn't know how long he would have the privilege of holding the bible in his hands, so he ought to hold it in his heart. I WANT THAT kind of commitment to the things of God.

No comments: